• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club: NieA_7.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 4-5:

I was kind of thinking about the "red" NieA in the opening. (Usually I skip openings and endings, so I didn't pay much attention to the last shot untill was mentioned). So, before that shot, there are _7 marks, starting to glow red in a dark water; Niea is floating under the surface, then opens her eyes, and looks ahead (I don't know at what, but it resembles a bottom of a sunk ship to me). A sparkling light throbs the soupish blue, and then the red Niea appears, making creepy expressions and a gesture with _7s' reflections on her.
It's been haunting me for while, as I said, and as the series goes, almost in each episode a living or business is mentioned being "in the red". Episode 5 actually beings and repeats episode 2, and in episode 4, Chie's father was also sighing over the calculations on the restaurant's ballance, saying it was again "in the red". So, I was thinking if the last couple of shots wouldn't represent something like a protest of the _7s being born with a NieA, who feels free to get angry. Or, I don't know - stays as a symbol of the _7s' position (shared by both humans and aliens) and in the mean time, hinting a place nothing on none will devour for a simple matter of money.

Anyway, Chie and her father, were a nice addition with their kind and supportive attitude. I liked them not because they don't burden anyone with their worries, but because they show interest and concern for Mayu. Chie is absolutely gorgeous - honest, outspoken, just, and natural even if she is perhaps a double under 7 Smile. Or maybe because of that. Memorable moment in episode 4 is how she stood up for her family business, and gave Karna a piece of her mind.

Genzo is also cute without trying to be something he isn't. He likes Mayu and agrees to participate in the next of Kotomi's crazy schemes (the irony - Kotomi has made her name known in Enohana with those), because it would please Mayu. Well, I would give him a point or two for eating a dinner - leek and liver Smile - just to spend more time in Mayu's company.

Now, Kotomi deserves a few words, if I have idea from where to start - she misinterpreted every step of the cause, the effect, and consequences, to the point I am really wondering how she got that condo in the middle of Tokyo. Why does she keep drawing those charts for something deducable with a paper and pencil, and a brief look around Enohana? While she rejected Mayu's very good suggestions for a bubble bath and karaoke box, she pulls out plans, one after another, drawing back the bathhouse to the bottom. I mean, for a city girl, probably working in a big firm, with knowledge and a good look on resources, it is a mystery why searching for a second hand bubble installation or a reasonable loan seems out of the question. Even with the strange smell from the alien plants, the customers did notice and were pleased with the change in the bathhouse. And while she barely risks her status or comfort, for Mayu and the others surely leaving the bathhouse is not a joking matter.
Offering children prizes they don't care at all certainly was her version of a crowning moment of awesome.
Another was the smirk at the globalisation - a city Chinese restaurant offering pricy beef stroganoff and an European food restaurant in the province, ending up with cheap Japanese take-outs. I wonder if Karna has chosen her chinese outlook, merely because she works at the Chinese Miller's. Respectively, the alien under 5 waitress despite her bombastic speeches, orders her dinner at the same place where the under cram human delivers food. Pride and status might really turn out to be that relative. No need to glliter the gold.
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6: Alien & Rival Hot Spring Bath discussion starts today, I'll post my impressions as soon as I watch the episode tonight Very Happy
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 6: Alien & Rival Hot Spring Bath

1. What did you think of the episode(s)?

An epic episode Smile, taking the current economic depression to a new ground of diversification, as reflected in Chada and Kotomi’s usual business initiatives. The summer heat unexpectedly leveled to a direct hilarity and crooked tunes, scoring some temporal personality changes in innocent bystanders along the way.

3. Did you notice anything that others might not have noticed?

The title of the book Kotomi gave away to Mayu in the end of the episode – “New idEAL under extragalactic acculturation … Advent?” as a reminder for having fun once in a while. Under the title there is a black dot, in which “NieA” is printed with weird white letters. Although I couldn't find the proper acronym, it surely adds more to NieA as a character - her renowned image as an universal teaser could stem from a concept for an unexplored cultural phenomenon – an alien of a new type, perhaps.

Momo (the old lady) speaks up for first time. Whole two sentences.

In Chada’s site, promoting the opening of the alien bathhouse, information on the convenience store (AM7/PM11) was included as well as.

4. What was the most memorable moment of the episode(s) for you?

I guess, Genzo and Chiaki’s experience in the Great Space King Bath.

The running Mayuko, dragging NieA, who keeps shouting “up front” the purpose of their secret mission, while Chada, dressed in pink (today), friendly chases them with his naked butt around the bathhouse.

5. What do you think was the point of the episode?

Subtly sketches more aspects of the abovementioned process of acculturation, where profit remains a distant dream, but amusing gaps of misapprehension make up for the daily life of the characters.

Kotomi likes the place for herself and it explains her attachment; the fact she needs it, answers the question of why trying, despite the blind spots in management and providing help. Everybody needs a place where they can be their ‘miserable’ selves, right? Perhaps this is why Geronimo visits regularly undercover, although as the most successful alien from the area, he surely could help more than eat free bentos. I mean, for those two, keeping a safe distance from the city is consciously or subconsciously important.
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 6: Alien & Rival Hot Spring Bath

1. What did you think of the episode?
It was funny, but still... don't know where we're going with the show. There were some really funny parts but all in all it still felt like another slow burner.

2. What parts (if any) did you dislike about the episode? Why?
When NieA, Mayu, Genzo and Chiaki were standing above the crater about to walk down, Genzo looked really really angry. I think it might've been laziness on the animation side but I just didn't get why he had to look so angry when he seems like such a nice guy.

Only the "NieA" thing on the book that MikeOnTop already mentioned Anime smile And to be honest, your thoughts on it are much more than what I got!

4. What was the most memorable moment of the episode for you?
Mayu finding those leaves in the back of the new bathhouse. I mumbled to myself spoiler["Is that... weed?" and my girlfriend was like "What?!" and looked over to see what I was watching Razz ]

Also Chada's crazyness was hilarious, both the spoiler[showing off of his ass and the notes made of the results in his book.]

spoiler[I think the whole thing was just to lead up to why Kotomi is the owner of the bathhouse. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained!" I think was the main point of the entire episode, being the reason why she owns the bathhouse as well as what drove NieA to ask for the air conditioner which lead to finding the old book; finally it was also the reason behind the spying of the new bathhouse.]

Last edited by EvanUnisil on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Episodes 5 and 6

At the beginning of episode 5, we’re told the bathhouse is a place to communicate—that’s its patrons can strip themselves bare. It is a place to heal the loneliness of modern times.
EvanUnisil wrote:
This time it was trying to "relive the old days", which has been another strong theme of the series (being based in the not-too-distant future but being firmly grounded in old Japanese culture). The episode even came out and told us some aspects of the show that we may not know are supposed to be nostalgic:
and the episode being completely about trying to relive those old days of getting people communicating in the bathhouse. How do they do it? By playing retro arcade games; nobody likes the polygons anymore, "retro games are the thing today" Karuchie says.
There is a literal wall between the children and staff throughout most of the episode, but in the end it is the young and old sitting side-by-side.

In episode 6, Niea proudly declares she’s only interested in junk she can sell and cares nothing for old stuff that won’t be profitable. At the end, the mothership is in full-frame as Kotomi says, “Wow, this brings back memories.” She is referring to the book that was among the "useless junk" whose title, as Mike On Top pointed out, is “New idEAL under extragalactic acculturation … Advent?”

acculturation: the process of adopting the cultural traits or social patterns of another group
advent: a coming into place, view, or being; arrival
Mike On Top wrote:
Kotomi likes the place for herself and it explains her attachment; the fact she needs it, answers the question of why trying [...] Everybody needs a place where they can be their ‘miserable’ selves, right?
EvanUnisil wrote:
Mayu: Where did the concept of communication go?
Some more stuff to keep in mind.

I’ve already re-watched episodes 7 and 8, but I’ll wait for all of you to post before I get into it as I much prefer playing-off your comments. I will say this: my notes for 8 are longer than for those of episodes 1-6 combined.
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
...She is referring to the book that was among the "useless junk" whose title, as Mike On Top pointed out, is “New idEAL under extragalactic acculturation … Advent?”

acculturation: the process of adopting the cultural traits or social patterns of another group
advent: a coming into place, view, or being; arrival

So, to take from what MikeOnTop said and delve a little deeper, is the book a hint that NieA is an experiment by the aliens to try and be more like the humans, which would explain the absence of an antenna? The fact that she's always on the roof with the radio watching the mothership could coincide with this too idea too, that there's more to her being in the bathhouse than she's letting on. And surely Kotomi has noticed that the book says "NieA" on it, the same name as the alien living in her bathhouse? If she hasn't because she hasn't read it in a long time, I sure hope Mayu realizes as soon as she looks at the title (maybe she just glanced at it in this episode and didn't notice, I don't know).

varmintx wrote:

I’ve already re-watched episodes 7 and 8, but I’ll wait for all of you to post before I get into it as I much prefer playing-off your comments. I will say this: my notes for 8 are longer than for those of episodes 1-6 combined.

Good, for a while there I was thinking this thread was going to die in the ass with the lack of involvement from other users, especially those that actually voted for NieA_7. It's not going to stop me from posting my thoughts, but I think only 3 people who voted for this show have actually contributed to the thread, and out of those only you have gone past episode 3. I look forward to seeing what you have to say for the next two episodes, won't be long now Very Happy
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
EvanUnisil wrote:
Good, for a while there I was thinking this thread was going to die in the ass with the lack of involvement from other users, especially those that actually voted for NieA_7.

My apologies. I've been busy with graduation and a few other things, so I've not been able to get around to them. With a vacation just around the corner, I don't think I'm going to be able to re-watch the series; I'll probably be around for the final round of discussion (the last three episodes) going on memory and try to contribute what I can, though.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Haaah. It's been a long week. Let's get to it.

Episodes 5 & 6

Episode 5 was a slow but good one. Yet another scheme designed to make the bathhouse more profitable. Yet another failure.
The circumstances leading to the game tournament highlights the situation of most of Enohana--businesses all over are in trouble. The mention of a recession hits home a little more than it would have normally due to our current economical situation as well.
Genzo has a heavy crush on Genzo, going out of his way to spend time with her. Also, it seems that Karna has a crush on Genzo. Will Karna become a serious contender in this love triangle?
One last thing--I'm starting to understand and appreciate Chie's character more. Thanks, Evan--I didn't see it like that.

Episode 6 was the funnier of the two. Kotomi's attitude towards the new bathhouse was interesting--I thought that kind of stance was a Western thing, something that the Japanese always criticize us for?
I too had the reaction "is that what I think it is?!". That'll take you to space, alright...
Kotomi explaining why she owns the bathhouse was a good moment, as was her telling Mayuko to have some fun. Mayu does work a lot just to maintain her situation.

As for the name of that book, if you wanted, you can force an abbreviation of the title that would give you NieA's name: New Ideal under Extravagent Acculturation...Advent? If you wanted to stretch it a bit further, "under" is already there and "Advent?" contains seven characters total (counting the question mark...doesn't it seem a little out of place?), so now you have the show's title.
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7: Mothership, Go-Con & Cloudy Skies Bath

Another episode that feels like we're slowly leading to something. I honestly thought when spoiler[NieA was kicking the Radio and heard those "voices" that the story was going to go into overdrive and I spent the entire first 3/4 of the episode waiting for something big to happen... ] Still, I was glad to see the Karuchie European Restaurant to be getting a lot more business... that was nice. And I like Chie, she's really sweet. The episode did have it's depressing moments too, but I can tell it's all going to play a part in the bigger set piece.

When NieA was trying to help Mayu and Mayu was just getting angry with her. She's so nice to everyone else, and I guess she was in a foul mood, but it just seemed like a nasty thing to do when all she was doing was trying to help.

Not really, but I have come to the conclusion that Mayu's relationship with NieA is like that of two siblings, or family. I'm sure everyone can relate but when you're living with someone, especially if you're sharing a room, you're spending a lot of time together and it becomes much easier to lose your temper over the smallest of things, sometimes things that you wouldn't even normally get mad at someone over. This is how I'm starting to see how Mayu treats NieA, like an annoying little sister that no matter what she does she gets annoyed by it.

When NieA is trying to help Mayu I guess. There wasn't anything particularly memorable in this episode for me.

Traditional Vs. Modern. Mayu is old fashioned and she feels alienated by her peers as they are the new generation. In a way it's a depiction of those that are stuck with the old, traditional Japan feeling alienated by the new modern and contemporary Japan. They continue to live in their traditional ways, unaware of what is going on in the outside world. But then the aliens seem to be rooted with the traditional people and the modern seem to find them to be amazing, interesting, rarely seen things due to the class system.

Mayu is traditional, although she looks like she may want to be more modern because everyone else her age is; the problem with this is she's happy with things how they are. Should she sacrifice happiness to fit in with her peers?
Kotomi: You should do activities that other young people do. If you only deal with the old people here in Enohana you might start acting like one.
NieA: When you get angry you're just like an old prune! Go hang with the old maids!

Kotomi on the otherhand, mingles with both. She is kind of a bridge between the two generations, one who has successfully assimilated with the new generation without losing her traditional values. She has her apartment in Tokyo (or wherever) and works in the big city but she's truly happy when she's at the bathhouse, in Enohana.

Chiaki, and the other girls from Mayu's school, are the modern. They see tradition as a relic of past times, something that should have gone with those years. In a way, these traditional people are alien to them.

Old Vs. New seems to be a big part of this series - the old traditional Bathhouse Vs. the new "super space" bathhouse of the last episode. The retro arcades to attract more customers but only kids showing up.

The other point I think they brushed on is how hard it is to get out of your comfort zone and try something new. It's easy to stay at home and live in your comfortable bubble but if you don't take risks, if you don't step out of that comfort sometimes you're going to miss out on some really good times (not that you'll even know what you're missing out on).

Finally, something's going to happen with the mothership and NieA. I thought it was going to happen this episode but I guess it's the next. We'll see soon enough.

Ok that's enough from me, my brain is starting to hurt thinking of how to phrase what I'm trying to say.

EDIT: I just realized my most disliked moment of the episode was also the most memorable Razz Funny how that is.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Ok, here's what I'm thinking after episodes 1-6.

• The overarching theme appears to me to be races/racism and societal classes and roles. Aside from being one of the creepier OPs I've ever seen, Niea_7's reinforces the the societal class theme with the mug shots. It sort of hard for me to verbalize it, but it's like how criminals are processed. They get their mug shots, and have their finger prints taken and personal effects catalogued. Then they become number 24601, Thief, as opposed to their name. And even when they are released, others often consider them a different class than themselves. Kotomi saying that she's "willing to enlist aliens, or even cats" to help save the bath house in episode 2 is an example of a character classifying aliens below themselves.

• Also, I'd like to think that I would have noticed how Niea and Mayu are polar opposites when it comes to blaming themselves and that this is a metaphor for the extremes of Japanese culture, but I'll give credit to Zalis for that one.

• I've come to the same conclusion as others here that Niea is an alien human hybrid, but judging from the time that she spends on the roof with the radio I think she's more broken up about her lack of an antenna than she lets on.

• I also get the feeling that Chiaki is slummin' when she goes to visit Niea or Mayu.

• I'm not sure what to make of Genzo, he confuses me.

• This show is a little too shouty for me. I turn the volume down lower when I'm watching so that when Mayu or Niea yells, which happens at least once a minute, it doesn't shake the speakers off the wall. But then when Genzo or the old lady or the European restaurant owner talk, I often have to go back and turn up the volume to figure out what they said.

• Little continuity error in episode 5. If old games are all the rage, why did the arcade that stocks lots of old games go out of business?

• Eko Asotaki, the apparent author of the book Kotomi gives Mayuko, turns up no results on Google.
Ardlien

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote

I'm looking above mayu's head in this.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

This one was interesting, as it centered more on Mayu's demeanor and her relationship with Niea. I just now noticed that Niea listens to the radio a lot. Also, later she says that the mothership is talking to her. Perhaps she uses the radio to try to hear the mothership; maybe the mothership speaks to all the aliens, or is it only trying to talk to Niea? Either way, it's really getting to Niea.

Meanwhile, the people around Mayu try to get her to have some fun. Mayu's reaction to their attempts is similar to that of real people like her--she's so resigned to the grind that she sort of forgot how to live. Her self-described indecision is contrasted by Kotomi because she decided to be in Enohana and is happy with her decision, while Mayu seems to be tring to find something better. Her indecision in her life's direction combined with her immersion in her daily life seems to be frustrating Mayu deep down, and it comes out when she blows up at Niea. Even though Mayu seems to like being at the bathhouse and working at Karuchie, this episode makes me fell like she feels "stuck" and doesn't know what to do with herself.

Back to that blowup, Niea is just another person trying to get Mayu to lighten up yet she brings to light Mayu's neglect for herself. Later, when Niea tries to console Mayu (by sharing FOOD. SHARING!) then brings up her own concern about the mothership Mayu blows up by picking on Niea's sore spot--her lack of an antenna. Niea seemed to blow it off, but both her and Mayu have been hiding a lot of themselves throughout the show so I'm not so sure that it didn't really bother her.

Whew. Am I getting any better at this?
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7
EvanUnisil wrote:
Traditional Vs. Modern. Mayu is old fashioned and she feels alienated by her peers as they are the new generation.
Yes, Mayu is very out-of-place with her plain-looking clothes compared to the hip, modern garb of Chiaki and her friends. The other girls are quite surprised to hear Mayu was going to the Go-Con, thus furthering the divide. Mayu becomes more stressed as she realizes she can’t even afford a haircut.

In the next scene, Niea cups her ears trying to listen for the mothership, but says she’s not picking-up anything. Next, Mayu calls Chiaki to tell her she’s not going; there’s a bad connection. Mayu doesn’t really explain why she isn’t going.
Imperialkat wrote:
Her indecision in her life's direction combined with her immersion in her daily life seems to be frustrating Mayu deep down, and it comes out when she blows up at Niea.
Back to that blowup, Niea is just another person trying to get Mayu to lighten up yet she brings to light Mayu's neglect for herself. Later, when Niea tries to console Mayu (by sharing FOOD. SHARING!) then brings up her own concern about the mothership Mayu blows up by picking on Niea's sore spot--her lack of an antenna. Niea seemed to blow it off, but both her and Mayu have been hiding a lot of themselves throughout the show so I'm not so sure that it didn't really bother her.
Niea was trying to talk to Mayu about the message she is getting from the mothership—Niea is talking about communication, but Mayu closes the lines of communication between the two of them by yelling at her.
EvanUnisil wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that Mayu's relationship with NieA is like that of two siblings, or family. I'm sure everyone can relate but when you're living with someone, especially if you're sharing a room, you're spending a lot of time together and it becomes much easier to lose your temper over the smallest of things, sometimes things that you wouldn't even normally get mad at someone over. This is how I'm starting to see how Mayu treats NieA, like an annoying little sister that no matter what she does she gets annoyed by it.
As someone who grew up with six younger siblings, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

EvanUnisil wrote:
Mayu is traditional, although she looks like she may want to be more modern because everyone else her age is; the problem with this is she's happy with things how they are. Should she sacrifice happiness to fit in with her peers?
Imperialkat wrote:
Even though Mayu seems to like being at the bathhouse and working at Karuchie, this episode makes me feel like she feels "stuck" and doesn't know what to do with herself.
Is she really happy, or is she trying to cover-up the fact that she’s really miserable? The problem is, Mayu just doesn’t know what she wants. Kotomi sees her indecisiveness immediately, and Mayu recognizes it herself. What is it that Mayu needs to learn?

There is a significant shift in tone in this episode with Mayu’s angry outburst as juxtaposed with the general frivolity of the earlier episodes. Will this become a trend...
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:
Whew. Am I getting any better at this?

I've been reading everyone's posts and really like some things that others are pointing out that I haven't noticed. I also like how varmintx is 'playing' off of what we say about the episodes. I just find it hard to reply to what others are saying most of the time though because all I have to say is "interesting" or "that's a good one!". See below.

varmintx wrote:
In the next scene, Niea cups her ears trying to listen for the mothership, but says she’s not picking-up anything. Next, Mayu calls Chiaki to tell her she’s not going; there’s a bad connection. Mayu doesn’t really explain why she isn’t going.

I didn't even think of this, this is a really interesting observation.

varmintx wrote:
Niea was trying to talk to Mayu about the message she is getting from the mothership—Niea is talking about communication, but Mayu closes the lines of communication between the two of them by yelling at her.

I like this idea too.

varmintx wrote:
Is she really happy, or is she trying to cover-up the fact that she’s really miserable? The problem is, Mayu just doesn’t know what she wants. Kotomi sees her indecisiveness immediately, and Mayu recognizes it herself. What is it that Mayu needs to learn?

Kotomi: Well it's just for fun and going or not going, that's all up to you. You have to know what you really want first.

...and now onto my thoughts of the next episode!

Episode 8: Melancholy & Cast-Off Summer Bath

Once again I'm not too bowled over by the episode... it's still the same sort of thing, only right now Mayu is getting intolerant of NieA.

spoiler[Mayu getting upset at NieA for not coming home for supper on time. I don't know why she was expecting her home at that time, I don't think she came home that early after the previous meeting, and she knew full well that she was getting free bento... BUT that's what teenagers are like. Incomprehensible. ]

NieA's swirl on her index finger? Other than that all I can think of is Mayu came 7th in the College exam (which I'm sure everyone noticed) but this has led me to look up the number 7 to see if there is more significance to it in this show. This is what I found:

• The #7 is a lucky prime, a happy number and a safe prime. What this could mean for the show I don't know.

• In Judaism the number 7 is highly symbolicin the Torah, alluding to the infusion of spirituality and Godliness into the creation. The infusion of spirituality and Godliness into the creation of NieA perhaps?

• The Hebrew for the number 7 has an origin in the word meaning “complete”. "Complete" Alien?

• Personality traits of the number 7 - People linked to the number 7 may be enigmatic. They are spiritual and contemplative but can also be analytical, scientific and focused.

• In numerology, seven represents Neptune, music, and psychic abilities. It is also a mystical number; in Hinduism and Christianity it is the number of God.

• In Cantonese the number 7 is sometimes use in slang as an insult. It does not have a positive connotation.

• 7 is powerful and lucky, like other odd numbers, and also because it corresponds to the seven days of the week, themselves derived from the moon's phases in its 28-day cycle. In folk belief, it is linked to the idea of cycles of growth: at 7, a child supposedly reaches ‘the age of reason’; at 14, puberty; at 21 (formerly), legal adulthood. In astrology and old medical theory, every seventh year of one's life was a time of crisis, the most dangerous being one's sixty-third year (9 x 7), the ‘grand climacteric’. There is still a fairly common idea that in the course of seven years every cell in one's body is renewed.

That's about all I got... not much, but something, I guess.

The alien meeting I guess, but once again nothing stood out as very memorable.

Mayu's change in attitude and attempts at comprehending her place in the world.

The kids at school were talking to her, something that didn't happen before and they were almost treating her like a friend.

Finally when NieA was talking about the Mothership sounds or reverberations, she kept looking at the elephant statue, which I presumed in a previous episode was supposed to be the Indian god Ganesha. Ganesha is widely revered as the Remover of Obstacles. Paul Courtright says that "his task in the divine scheme of things, his dharma, is to place and remove obstacles. So maybe NieA got a bit more clarification while observing the statue? I dunno...

Anyhow, we'll see what happens...
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[Mayu getting upset at NieA for not coming home for supper on time. I don't know why she was expecting her home at that time, I don't think she came home that early after the previous meeting, and she knew full well that she was getting free bento... BUT that's what teenagers are like. Incomprehensible. ]

[chuckle, chuckle]

Well, I think it has something to do with the whole situation of Mayu's taking her disappointment and frustration on NieA. In episode 7, NieA, who is perhaps the first and one to immediately detect Mayu's despondency over the failed attendance at the go-con, several times tried to hook Mayu up to their routine for food fighting, thinking it would distract her and help her return to her usual self. Man, that was heartbreaking - NieA was so caught off guard and looked like as if trying to revive a dead pet, not to say a dear family member. In episode 8, Mayu tried to do the same by waiting patiently for the moment of teasing, as if excusing herself, pretending nothing happened and they may resume their communication - choosing the dinner time wasn't accidental. Alas, there are moments in which even activities, which will work 9 out of 10 times, might fall in the one case that certainly would lead to the opposite result. I think it is evident that Mayu was tremendously distressed by her consuming work and suffocating deprivation, preventing her to fullfill a simple scheme of having fun at least "once", rather than "in a while", and not to end as "never", as it usually does. Unfortunately, it provoked more bitterness and NieA chose the roof again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6