• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spy × Family (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Most of the side stories are good, this weeks's final episode had one that put Bond in the spotlight (which he needed) and it was a fun zany time. The majority of the other side stories are just as fun, though I would consider the Bondman and Yuri ones to be less than great.

That kind of leads to my overall opinion on the now finished season: it has a lot of great episodes and the Lorelai arc was amazing, yet the first 4 episodes made me lose a little bit of interest, either due to there being too many sidestories in a row or me not liking a few of them.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree on all points there Smurky, even down to my least two favorite side stories. Personally, I also would have cut one of the Damian side stories (because two felt redundant) and the episode where they were after some kind of legendary school brain Danish.

But maybe they had to do some awkward filling in because they didn't want to put the arc that the movie is going to based on in Season 2? And they also couldn't draw stories that were past it in sequence? Assuming the preview scenes were from the movie, it looks like the movie is going to advance with the main plotline instead of being outside the canon like a lot of movies are.

Whatever. Considering how much I enjoyed the Lorelai arc and most of the side story episodes, I still consider it a strong season and love the show.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
But maybe they had to do some awkward filling in because they didn't want to put the arc that the movie is going to based on in Season 2? And they also couldn't draw stories that were past it in sequence? Assuming the preview scenes were from the movie, it looks like the movie is going to advance with the main plotline instead of being outside the canon like a lot of movies are.

The plot of the movie, at least as advertised in the previews, is entirely anime-original. Your classic Jump filler movie.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:07 am Reply with quote
Final:

7/10.

I will admit: the show is solid as always, but I've never been a fan of the series. Spy x Family is fun and all, and it's apparently incredibly popular in Japan and everywhere else, but it has never made me feel excited to watch. It has mostly been a feel-good show that is well done, and one that I can watch at any time of the day. This season is good as always but it didn't really anything much to the franchise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:28 am Reply with quote
Talking about popularity, I was passing by a bus stop outside of the central station here in Brisbane, and was surprised to see that it a poster for Spy X Family on the side, which felt kind of surreal.

As for the final episode, I think it was a pretty perfect last episode for the season. It had a focus on Bond, who was kind of not very prevalent lately, and how he is a good boy and loved member of the family. Really that whole family thing is why I love the show so much. Just like how the arc that focused on Yor on the ship was so good, when she had those sort of realisations of the importance the family had.

To be honest after reading the side stories above, I do recall some of them now, my mind otherwise completely forgets them, in a way that they weren't important, and doesn't really detract from my enjoyment. I guess probably should have some notice that some parts of the season were that forgettable. I will just rate it Excellent (9/10), it is still going strong, got me a bit teary eyed in the last episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:38 pm Reply with quote
S2 #12 end

The final side story focuses on Bond, which is fitting as he's not had much to do since the highlight long story arc didn't feature him at all while the other side stories gave him comparatively little screen time. He did have his moments at the very start of the season, but not much else. Being a dog, his abilities are limited in their degree of exploitation but he tries his best as he's like Anya and loves his current life and wants it to last as long as possible. He's done just enough to keep Tasogare on side, while viewers get to laugh at the massive contrast in his appearance when water is involved.

Does the series suffer from second season syndrome? One could argue it does, but the first season over performed and expectations were always going to be unrealistic that this season would repeat the success of the first. I'm not surprised this season is not as well received as the first, and likewise hasn't dominated discussion and eyeballs the same way it did during its first airing. This is partly due to this season being far more competitive in addition to the second season being weighted more towards short stories than the more entertaining long arcs. If chatter about the movie being filler is to be believed, then the franchise needs a blockbuster success for the movie to keep interest high and motivation for season long adaptations to remain in the pipeline. I'm definitely going to see the film if and when it arrives in theaters, as Japanese reactions so far have been positive. The series formula is still a winning one, but the joint production will need to work even harder for future adaptations to see the journey through to the source material end (which appears to be far off for now).
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I saw this movie. And I noticed this.

spoiler[Nightfall got a lot more screen time than Yori or Frankie for that matter. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11