• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Note (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Yep, missed that one, too. Well, at least we know that Sadako (come on, we all know it's her) isn't tied to the Inn.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3, the male lead still doesn't know she is an alien,what is wrong with him? He is as dense as Ash Ketchem.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, he is, the floating/flying car and portable rocket launcher were a bit too out there to just wave away as tech from the UK. Also, the mc can stand to grow a bit more of a spine, it is not really fair to complain about your perceived(?) love rival while you have not really made a single move yourself. At least try something before complaining.

As for miss ghost at the end, time for another character it seems.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:31 am Reply with quote
Yah, I've mentioned before that I'm not a big fan of romantic male leads whose only redeeming quality is being a big lump of passive sweetness, partly because there are so many of them in anime. That said, I'm okay with the anime ramping up the sci-fi zaniness although it would be nice if someone other than the elementary (middle?) schooler in the house noticed.

Sort of apropos of nothing, Gene Wolfe wrote a book called Free Live Free about a boarding house full of oddball losers who have to band together when the landlord's mysterious/fantasy/sci-fi past comes a' calling. That or find a better place with cheaper rent, which is nigh impossible. Just saying, people who like this anime might like it though the tone of the book is seedier.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 am Reply with quote
Welp, this show made it past the 3 episode barrier just fine.

The shy stalker's secret apartment was a pretty cool development IMHO. The new addition has romantic complication tattooed on her bang covered forehead, and the show already has at least two of those already, so it looks like the developing and then not developing and then developing again relationship of the MCs is going to be a primary focus, proceeding as smoothly as my first attempts to learn how to drive a stick shift. Which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, and certainly in keeping with the Maison Ikkoku vibe from what I've seen so far.

I thought the non-ghost was pretty charming and funny until she smelled that letter like a perv snorkeling a pair of underwear, and then I thought...this is a light hearted anime at its heart, that's not alarming at all. It's a comedic moment. Hah, aha, hah ha.

The back-up cast looking for any excuse to party also seems pretty familiar. This show is a bit like the Spice and Wolf remake in that part of its charm for me is an odd fascination with how it calls back to another show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I'm just glad I don't have to attend a funeral service today because if I was, I'd be afraid that the phrase, "...until she smelled that letter like a perv snorkeling a pair of underwear..." would pop into my head and if that happened, I could not be guarantee that I'd be able to maintain an appropriate level of solemnity. So, bullet dodged...

But yes, I find the "ghost" to be a welcome addition to the already wacky crew at the Astro Lodge. I fear our poor, lovesick MC may be developing a lethal case of aoi balls as I suspect the show intends to throw many, many more obstacles at him in his quest for some of that yummy alien goodness.

Hee hee hee, snorkeling a pair of underwear, hee hee hee...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 am Reply with quote
Miss not ghost lady is indeed another fun addition to the residents, it is a nice idiotic roster of people with all sorts of weird quirks. As for the romance, it seems best not to take it too seriously, as should the mc to avoid giving himself a depression. As for the big alien plot, things are slowly beginning to take form and the bird robot might take action again.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
But I guess I was wrong about "not-Sadako" not being the short-haired girl in the credits, I guess she'll be cutting her hair soon in her attempt to get closer to her crush.

Blood... ever see the "Giggle loop"/funeral episode of Coupling? It's a sexed-up British take on Friends, but easier to take as their TV system means there are only a couple dozen episodes over the 4-5 years it was on.

But, yeah, you would have been caught by the giggle loop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm Reply with quote
The giggle loop is a new one on me but I had thought of another TV reference when I wrote my post above. I didn't bother mentioning it because I assumed it is too old to be of any interest to the (mostly) younger crowd that posts here. But probably a few of you may be familiar with...

...Chuckles the Clown
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:43 am Reply with quote
I've seen Coupling and loved it (first 2 seasons anyway) but I've never seen the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Just based on that clip, it seems to have been in the Carol Burnett category of years ahead of its time and worth going back and finding.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:22 am Reply with quote
If he didn't figure out she is an alien now, than congratulations than this is no longer the most dumbest dense moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPgMfwLfGnk
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, even with how slow and mentally unstable he is there is too much evidence screaming in his face to not get it....probably. Otherwise the episode had a surprising amount of character development such as the skirt situation, cutting of hair and Mira coming to terms with not wanting to go home.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:33 am Reply with quote
The twist that the kid was interested in the dress and not the girl, reminds me of a Rocko's Modern Life, when his dog falls in love with a mop, the end of the episode the dog sees a girl dog near a fire hydrant and has this in love look. And we the viewers and Rocko assume it is over the girl dog, but really it is the fire hydrant. So that this reminds me of.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Did not see the veering into Wandering Son territory. It was nice that Dad's objection wasn't based on a, "no boy of mine is gonna be wearing a goldurn dress!" but rather an understandable fear of bullying. Not-Sadako cleans up pretty nice. If Mira ever does go home, I'd say that Chef Boyardee has an extremely decent fall back.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:03 pm Reply with quote
The worst part about the scene dealing with Ren's desire to wear a skirt was the of backlash from homophic and transphobic people on Crunchyroll. The amount of sheer ignorance was pretty disturbing, though unsurprising.

Blood- wrote:
If Mira ever does go home, I'd say that Chef Boyardee has an extremely decent fall back.

That's only if Mira doesn't invite him to return with her if she does return!

I'm just curious to know what the Hubbies plans and motivations are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3