• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) New Gate (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:06 pm Reply with quote

(The) New Gate (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 22 volumes, written by Shinogi Kazanami, illustrated by Makai no Jūnin [volume 1-9], KeG [volume 10-11], Akira Banpai [volume 12+])

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Cloud Hearts, Yokohama Animation Lab

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes: isekai

Plot Summary: THE NEW GATE―an online game transformed into a life-and-death struggle for its players. Thanks to the valiant efforts of Shin, the most powerful of them all, an end to the game and freedom for everyone seemed within reach.

But just moments after Shin defeats the game's final boss, he finds himself bathed in an unknown light and transported some 500 years into the future of the in-game world. Thrown from a simple game gone wrong into a strange new land, one young swordsman of unrivaled strength is about to embark on a legendary journey.

Air Date & Platform:
April 13, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

Sounds like a holdover for Shangri-La Frontier. A bit disappointed Yokohoma Animation Lab (Kingdoms of Ruin, (The) Witch and the Beast) are co-producing, since the efforts in their most previous series seemed a bit on the low-budget side. But since it is a co-production with Cloud Hearts, maybe it'll actually turn out okay-ish.

Four composers doing the score is intriguing. The last anime I remember a title having four composers was Samurai Champloo, and that turned out to be a pretty good soundtrack.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:06 am Reply with quote
So a "trapped in a VR game that can actually kill you" turns into a time travel story, eh? Hmm, have to see how that flies. By the way, Tony K., I thought that The Witch and the Beast turned out pretty well, including visually, so I personally am not worried about Yokohoma Animation Lab's involvement.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
Eh, The Witch and the Beast was good due to the interesting setting and story, the visuals were very much budget though and especially in the latter episodes the battles looked pretty bad. They did try to make the most out of the limited budget though, so who knows.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
I liked the character designs and background art of the show a lot. The animation didn't particularly stand out to me as being subpar but I also admit readily that animation quality is sometimes one of those things that I don't key into.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This show kind of feels like a time warp. As in, go back however many years to when Sword Art Online first came out, take an author who was discontented with the way season 2 went (as many were) and it feels like you'd get this show, a what if fan fic version of Sword Art Online season 2, complete with the black trench coat swordsman with elements of Land of Leadale thrown in.

That said, I liked it fine. I know, I know, I've shot my mouth off about wanting more than the standard isekai rehash. I know the animation is standard. I know it's got an OP main character and an adventurer's guild and is showing signs of lots of harem candidates. You say I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am vast. I contain multitudes.

(You know I'm desperate when I start rehashing Whitman)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The former death game turning into an isekai is relatively interesting and could make the story something worthwhile. Besides the premise there is nothing that I would call above average. The mc looks and feels very cookie cutter and the characters that he has met thus far also very cliche and uninteresting. To top it off we have the adventurer's guild trope plus the overpowered abilities and some okay animation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was okay-ish. I'll watch more but this one is giving me a whiff of other shows I've watched where at a certain point watching becomes a chore. Ain't gonna let that happen this season. No giving benefit of the doubt for an extended period. Deliver or be gone is my new motto.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:10 am Reply with quote
"Mum, I want SAO"
"We have SAO at home."
SAO at Home:

Granted, probably the most interesting part I can think of was that it did make the while it was a game look worse than the rest of the episode to get across the artificiality.

Still, I am pretty sure we have already had game turned isekai, like Log Horizon, I don't see anything yet that stands out.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1

No giving benefit of the doubt for an extended period. Deliver or be gone is my new motto.

:::::::Ungently thumbing grainy morning crap out of corners of eyes and reading again::::::::

Wasn't that your motto two seasons ago? Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 am Reply with quote
*sighs*

*pinches bridge of nose*

Edjwald... your recall is... indelicate.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Feel free to use my Whitman quote Wink

I'm the one coming across as an Isekai Tsundere after putting three average ones on my watch list right after talking about how I'd finally reached a point where Isekai needed to be more than just predictable for me to bite. That Banished Hero anime tricked me dammit....

(I'll...I'll watch you because the TV happens to be on, but it's not like I like you or anything...)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I understand Edjwald, there is the need to have at least a little bit of an isekai fix every now and then, yes, there are several really good isekai this season but sometimes you just need it to be trash in order to remind yourself how much of an anime trash panda you are.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Youse guys are just a buncha damn, dirty isekai enablers... Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:08 am Reply with quote
I guess I never should have stopped going to those support group meetings....

Anyway, back to this anime. Imma wondering if the MC's old support characters will have intact memories of him, and if so, how. Is this a computer game that has been magically used as a seed to create a new world? Or while they were trapped in the death game, did they somehow create a living, flesh and blood avatar in another dimension? Or was their experience in the game an echo of reality in an alternate dimension, and if so how did the two connect? Or is it all a simulation and things have progressed to an upgrade that only the "winner" can participate in?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, given the ending of episode two it seems likely that the former support characters very much seem to have memories of the mc. It is also interesting that many of the things that worked in the game version work in the now real world version. World wise I think that the fantasy world is not a simulation, the seed and echo theories sound the most likely to me right now.

Otherwise the second episode was pretty jam packed with the aftermath of the jack incident and saving a cute mascot. One complaint I have to make is that the show is prime example of show, don't tell. There is no need to voice every single thought or conclusion that the mc makes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2